12 June 2005

I'm Surrounded by Character

I read somewhere, and I'm sorry but I just don't remember where, that our fast paced life style is part of the reason that we have lost the "character" in the exterior of our homes. In Victorian times you would never have been able to drive by someone's home at 60 miles an hour. So houses were interesting since you had to look at them for a bit.

You know what made me think of that today...



the mud road.


Our house is about 1/2 mile from this dirt road. No one lives on this road and I think the county would rather just shut it down. But I love to drive on it. It's beautiful with all sorts of different birds singing and flitting around. It gives you this great feeling of peace and solitude.

It's kinda a long-cut to the highway for me. But, if you take your time and slow down you notice a new piece of "character" every-once-in-a-while.