13 May 2005

Feeling a little better post stand-off

Tim made it home last night, and since I was at work I couldn't lock him out of the house and yell nasty things at him through the window like I had planned.

He spent some quality time in the attic assessing the situation and has come to the conclusion that the attic window (where we thought the problem was) is actually not the problem. There is some sort of gap or hole, I don't know I wasn't there, in the fish-scale siding in the peak. And that is where the water is getting in.

He also tried to clean up the carnage the best he could. When I woke up this morning I took a look at the damage. The curtain is going out to the burn barrel since it appears to be starting to grow mold. The grout is stained where the river was flowing. I've seen those grout bleaching pens, but never paid much attention to them. Has anyone tried anything like that? What worries me is the grout was originally cream and I would rather have it stained too dark than get bleached out. The ceiling stain is fading, and I'm just going to have to learn to live with that.

Days like yesterday scare me. They make me worry that I'm not capable of caring for this beautiful old structure. Some times I think the house does this sort of thing so I bow down and chant "I am not worthy."

But I'm a tough girl, and we have a strong marriage or else we wouldn't be doing this. Days like yesterday happen. And we old-house-lovers can't let them get to us. We need to work on and remember the good times like seeing the house with electricity for the first time or my first soak in the claw foot tub. We need to remember that, more than likely, this house would not still be standing if it was not for us. That little leak is nothing compared to the "indoor rain showers" we had pre-roofing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try Oxyclean on the grout. It is a miracle worker. I feel you pain on the leak....no fun to be sure

Kasmira said...

I once saw a product that works like a paint pen on grout. It doesn't clean the grout, just colors over it. If it comes in white, I would assume it comes in other grout colors as well.

Jocelyn said...

Sorry about your troubles with the leak. Maybe try watching "The Money Pit" for comic relief?

A heavy duty grout cleaner (acid) might work also. Or even Tilex? Home Depot has some strong grout cleaner.

Keep the faith!