15 January 2008

I Hate Contractors

Things are pretty glum around the farm house these days. We don't understand. Are all contractors jerks? I mean I think we are pretty good judges of character, we seem to have so many lovely friends and family. Then why are we incapable of picking a decent contractor? OK, not all of them have been horrible (we love you Wedeking Electric please come soon to wire the dining room), but it seems we get more bad apples than good.

For the last three days the furnace has not kept lit over 6 hours. Last week it worked fine for us. Tim would go out every night and stir the pot a bit and things were a nice and toasty 72 degrees. And when the weather turned so did our luck.

They sent a guy out yesterday. When Tim called last night Mick (the owner of the company) said that we had bad corn and just the slightest crack can cause the furnace not to work. Now isn't that something you should tell the customer before they purchase corn? Also, he was upset to find that I was not home. The girls and I had gone for 4 hours to a friends for a play date. I guess you are not supposed to leave the furnace. Isn't that something they should have told us? Now if someone said to you you can't leave the house for the furnace to work effectively would you buy the furnace? I think not.

So we got up this morning to our cold house and Tim called Mick again. He said that this is the last time he is sending a guy out for free and we just have to face the fact that we have a bad batch of corn. Now here's my solution. We will waste even more of our time (Tim was supposed to be a work hours ago, but he's here waiting for the contractor) draining the bin. We will then purchase "approved" corn from the contractor and then see if the damn thing works. Or I am seriously tempted to say to them take the damn furnace and the coil that you put in that is too small to heat the house and we'll just pay for the work plumbing the two together. Then we'll go to another contractor and start over again.

I am so tempted to e-mail the company a link to this post and a copy of my site stats. Let them know just how fast word of mouth can travel when you have a houseblog. I suppose I had better just settle down though.

3 comments:

Todd Fratzel said...

Let me start off saying I run a large construction company. I can certainly see why you're frustrated as it seems your heating contractor isn't very good at communicating essential details. However, there are plenty of VERY good contractors out there. My best advice is to ask for referrals from people who have had work done. People will always give you a very honest opinion of a contractors work. I wish you luck and keep your chin up! If they won't fix it right then make them take it out and get your money back.

Matt said...

Becky-

I came over from a link at Sugar Creek Farms. I have a corn stove. I'm not sure what I can do to help, but I'm willing. Maybe I can give you some real life information.

I can agree that the corn you buy makes a difference on how well they burn. Do you have a corn cleaner/screen to pass the corn through to get rid of all the "fines".

Drop me an e-mail at mattamayer@gmail.com or call me at 319-265-3882.

Anonymous said...

My family runs a rental business that caters to contractors. Ten years ago 1/10 contractors were honest, trustworthy, honorable people. I'd say the odds of getting one these days are closer to 1/1000. There are so many fly by night companies, hacks, etc its unreal. Good luck!