09 October 2007

Houseblogging With Children

Tim finally got Molly's birthday (May 6th) swing hung on the front porch.



A while ago I read an entry on a blog I enjoy reading that made me terribly uncomfortable and more than a little self conscious about the content of my site. It basically was a quick little comment at the end of a post about houseblogs that "devolve into garden or baby blogs." I don't think they meant to be mean, but it kind of hurt my sensitive post-baby hormonal feelings. I really wondered if there were a lot of others out there that felt the same way. I thought about creating another site, but I'm already not blogging as much as I should here what would splitting myself between two sites really accomplish?


So here is what I've decided. I will keep blogging here. There will be entries about my children and what I am working on landscaping wise. And this is why... I feel that the acreage and its look is important to the house. Our vision for this place when we bought it was so much more than just the house, and I think it is important to share all of it.


Also, our vision included living in the house with children. This house still bears marks of the girl who's parents built this house. I'm almost 99% sure that our children's bedroom was once hers. Our attic has her name and the names of friends written on a lower part of the ceiling during a play date. She is part of the house and someday my children will be too.


I like most owners of an old house am curious about the families that once lived here. Luckily I have been able to meet a few. I hope someday when another family owns this house they will be curious about me and my family, a kind of circle of life of an old house. I want to be able to show them how happy my family was here and wish them the same.


Life changes and therefore peoples blogs also evolve. It's not a bad thing. At least that's what I'm telling myself.

9 comments:

Chelsea said...

I wouldn't give it another thought. My blog was a baby blog that devolved into a houseblog...well, really, a family blog. Our family is centered around our house, and vice versa. I love reading houseblogs, and I really enjoy when bloggers post about themselves or their family. It makes it seem a bit more personable, and it's easier to see someones personality come out in their house. There really are no rules when it comes to blogging, so do what you want, don't dwell on something one person might have said.

Anonymous said...

Well, yeah. The yard and garden and landscaping are an inextricable part of making the house look good.

And as you say, your kids will be important users of your house and its setting.

Besides, nothing says Cute like "This is my kid 'helping' me remodel"!

Anonymous said...

I prefer the all-inclusive houseblogs; weddings, pregnant bellies, children and pets are all welcome.

Anonymous said...

I enjoy getting to know more about bloggers and their families, whether they're writing a houseblog or a craftblog. I think it would be difficult to separate your family out of your renovation story.

IAProgressive said...

I have seen that type of comment around the intertubes before, and just didn't understand why they thought they could complain. For someone to think that a certain blog is supposed to stick to a certain topic would be like trying to buy a magazine. I don't think blogs were ever meant to be like magazines since they are basically a journal of an individual's life.

I was a techie who just got married 6 years ago, so what if I am a organic farmer(if I had any land) and care more about politics/environment/etc than I did back then? People change and the blogs change with them.

Stick with one blog, trying to compartmentalize yourself just causes stress :D

Anonymous said...

I completely agree, Becky...

After all, where else can you read about (and laugh hysterically at) Mr. Hippy being framed one day and admire the beauty of the mud room tile the next?

Balance is good...Its what keeps people reading...

Anonymous said...

Don't you dare leave Molly and Elsa off your blog!

Jennifer said...

I agree with your mother!

Anonymous said...

Darn tootin right its not a bad thing, change is life! Who wants to read lists of things to get done some day. I just added you to my list of daily reads. You go girl!

Henrietta Manyponies